Friday, May 06, 2022

Interplanetary

 


Where am I? 

Where am I!

The veil of darkness lifting,

Moonlight penetrating my pupils.

My vision tunnels,

I sit up.

Breathing labored, looking around

Seeing only darkness.

Remnants of dreams lingering,

Where am I?

I look straight ahead,

Door open to the night’s 

Cacophony of sounds….

Frogs, dogs, wind through aspens.

But I see only my dreamscape,

My desert memories.

Otherworldly splashes of colored sand.

Where am I!

My heart beats faster, 

Am I safely nestled into my bed

Or

Am I sleeping in my van,

On the side of the road

Behind a rock as big as a house

Hiding from rangers and rednecks

Boondocking on public lands.

Where am I?

The wind whips red sand into the van,

I sit up further, straining my neck and my gaze.

Staring at the full moon rising in my windshield.

The coyotes howl and the wind shakes the van,

Where am I!

Home in my Bed, sleeping with grizzlies outside my open door?

Or,

Home in my Van, sleeping with tarantulas outside my open door?

The wind howls - my husband snores.

I lay my head back on my pillow,

Where am I.


I am here and I am there.

I am nowhere.

I am everywhere.

No comments: