Friday, April 23, 2021

403

Who has narrated my life? Whose story am I listening to? If my story differs from their story, why is my memory less credible? 

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person covertly or overtly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment. 

Tara Westover: “To admit uncertainty is to admit to weakness, to powerlessness, and to believe in yourself despite both. It is a frailty, but in this frailty there is a strength: the conviction to live in your own mind, and not in someone else’s.”

“My life was narrated for me by others. Their voices were forceful, emphatic, absolute. It had never occurred to me that my voice might be as strong as theirs.”

“You can love someone and still choose to say goodbye to them. You can miss a person every day, and still be glad that they are no longer in your life.”

No comments: