Saturday, September 05, 2026

old wooden language

“I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.” 

~Wendell Berry~ 

“Very often, it is the crisis situation that actually improves us as human beings. Paradoxically, while these incidents can sometimes ruin people, they are usually growth experiences. As a result of such calamities, the person often makes a major reassessment of their life situation and changes it in ways that reflect a deeper understanding of their own capabilities, values, and goals.”

~Richard Farson~


Before I learned to speak, what did I say?

Before I learned to think, what were my thoughts?

Did I throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Have we replaced emotional connection with synthetic simulation?

When was the last time you asked a stranger how they are, and then actually listened to the answer?

How are you? Please. I really want to know.

When was the last time you asked yourself how you are, and then actually listened to the answer?

How am I? Please. I really want to know.

Sat Nam - I Am

You are.

Is the question too big? How are you? Are we actually having a philosophical conversation here? Is this existentialism? Phenomenology? Buddhism? I thought I was just getting some groceries.

But instead, I say: I’ve been thinking about the nature of selfhood and its relation to trauma.

To which, you reply: I don’t actually want to disconnect from connection, I want to disconnect from the noise.

Oh yes. Oh yes, my friend. Are we friends now?

No comments: